Niagara Fallsview Weddings - The Tower Hotel
Niagara Fallsview Weddings - The Tower Hotel

Niagara Fallsview Weddings - The Tower Hotel

Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Married

Who may marry in Ontario?
Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry. No person under 16 years of age may marry. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may marry with the written consent of his/her legal guardian. If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge, in Canada, to dispense with consent.

A person whose previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled will require:

  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court-certified copy of the final decree dissolving or annulling the marriage; or
  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the applicants must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage license may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:


  • A completed marriage license application signed by both applicants.
  • A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted) or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.
  • A statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage License.
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.
  • Where a spouse has died, proof of death of the spouse must be provided if death occurred outside Ontario.

How to obtain a marriage license?
A license to marry may be obtained from the issuer of Marriage License at the Municipal Clerk's Office, 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario (905-356-7521) between the hours of 8:30 and 4:00 Monday to Friday. Both parties must complete and sign an Application Form. However, if both parties are not able to come in to obtain the Marriage License, one person may bring in the completed Application form signed by both parties along with the Birth Certificate or Passport of the absent party.

Applicants present must provide identification such as a Birth Certificate, Driver's License or a Passport.

There are no requirements respecting residency, premarital blood tests or medical certificates.

A marriage license is valid for use anywhere in Ontario. The license expires 3 months after the date of issue.


Who may perform a marriage ceremony?
A marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by:

  • a minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act
  • a judge or justice of the peace

Civil Ceremony

There are no ceremonies at City Hall.

Contact Information
If you require further clarifications please the Niagara Falls Municipal Office at:

City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street, Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada L2E 6X5